Thursday, November 27, 2008

Patience Pays

The last few years I have waited out for a buck bigger than a 2 point and have ended up shooting a doe on the last day of the season. Finally broke the dry spell!
I have been hunting the last few weekends with my Dad. It was getting a little hard to climb up into the tree stand being large with child ;). Had seen a lot of does and a couple of small spikes, etc there. That morning I woke up late (alarm issues...I was MAD), got into the tree stand after shooting light, etc. but my wise old man said
"You never know. Sometimes these are the best mornings."
Well, after a couple hours of sitting I spooked this buck (looking the wrong direction) and was super bummed. I texted my Old Man and told him. He texted me back and said
"Be patient, you'll get your chance".
Lo and behold, 5 minutes later (about 8:30 a.m.) this big boy walked back in behind me following a doe! I ended up shooting 4 times when I have never shot more than once! The first shot was behind me in the tree stand, so I took it way over my left shoulder and ended up eating my scope! Got a huge, deep cut over my eye as you can see in the pics. OUCH!! Didn't let it fase me, though, and ended up hitting him twice...once far back on his lung and then a kill shot in the shoulder (a lesson to always sight in your gun). Anyway, he's dead meat and it felt good to take another big boy to the ground!
My Dad was so nice and caring. He helped me in and out of the tree stand and did most of the gutting and dragging with me being in my 8th month...and fat! ;) He also skinned it for me. Some of my best memories with my Dad are doing things like this together. He is such a good man.

He also pulled the deer out off the mountain with this game hauler and I rode it the rest of the way home on the easy part. :)

Cade was hanging out with Nana, so they were there when we got back. wasn't too sure about seeing the WHOLE dead deer for the first time, but he warmed up to it when he saw Papa and I skinning it's legs and sawing them off. He realized it wouldn't get him!
He just kept saying "MOM! Deers."

Me and my old man with the buck. Love him lots.

3 comments:

The Larsons said...

So love the memories I have hunting with the both of you. Have to agree, we have an amazing Dad. You are my idol Brynne. My preggo sister taking a buck. Nice. Can't wait to be your hunting partner in a few years. :) Or we can trade babysitting. :)

PS. love the new backdrop! Love Chrismtastime is here!

Amber said...

You go girl. Wow, hunting at 8 months along..not many of us could do that. Hope the cut heals fast. Your dad is awesome.

aly said...

wow i am so in awe of you! not only are you hunting with guns with scopes on them.. but you are pregnant!!! get it girl!! haha